Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sql Server Reporting Services Woes...

I'm just starting out with this, so these are beginner pains. But know that whoever I asked about configuring Reporting Services gave a shudder and tried to get out of the room as fast as possible...

I was tasked with taking over my company's reporting services development (still have to understand blogging policy here, the last company I worked for disallowed it, which is why I was quiet for so long - I have a feeling that the new company is a bit more open), And I have spent more than a day trying to get the Reporting services to work on my development machine. I'm still not there...

You'd think it is a straightforward process, there is a very "usable" configuration wizard etc... But the truth is that so much is hidden from the user that it becomes too much. I'm now at a point where everything seems to be working except for viewing a report on the local web site (Designing, Previewing, Building, Deploying and browsing the reports are working OK, but when trying to view a report I get weird error messages (no help from Google, tried all the tips found there).

It all started with trying to work it out, I had the default installation from installing SQL Server and Visual Studio. When I run the deploy on the report I made (very simple nothing complicated there) I got an error saying that the Application failed (the entire reporting services web server/(service)) because it was missing some namespace... Now I know it wasn't supposed to be using that namespace, because that's our main applications namespace - which has nothing at all to do with the reporting server.... WTF?!

Anyway, after trying to find the bad configuration and wasting time doing that, I decided to quit trying... no sense in trying to fix a bad configuration (our application also runs on the web server, but no amount of tweaking seemed to fix this). So I created an additional web site on my IIS, using a different port, and changed the report project configuration and the reporting server configuration to point there... This seemed to do the trick (except viewing the reports themselves - which is still not working).

Anyway, I'm down to this... No more time to debug the application which I didn't write... I'm now developing on the VS.NET only (using Preview only). Once I get some help I'm going to try again. Until then I'm developing in the hope that the report will work OK on the staging environment, but there is still some time before that.

No comments: